Two days ago I had a great Chinese Chicken Salad and haven’t been able to get it out of my mind since. So I decided I needed one right now! In the fridge I had chicken thighs, butter and romaine lettuces, asparagus, an orange, sliced almonds, dried pineapple (that doesn’t happen often), and in the pantry I had chow mein noodles and the last tablespoon of a jar of sesame seeds. That’s what I had, so that’s what I used. If I had on hand some green onion, carrots, water chestnuts, etc… I would have added them, but this is a case of working with what you have on hand. And it worked out great! Certainly not authentic Chinese Chicken Salad, but it made me happy.
Simple to do:
- Baked the chicken thighs (removed the skin to save on some calories) with some salt and pepper in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Blanched the asparagus for two minutes in boiling water, then drained and set in ice cold water to keep crisp.
- Cut the orange into segments.
- Everything else was “as is”.
Keeping with the “Kitchen Sink Style”, I made the dressing with the fabulous TORTURED ORCHARD ‘S Lemon Ginger Twist I had on hand, and other products I keep in my pantry.
- 1 tablespoon Tortured Orchard Lemon Ginger Twist
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Try this or look in your fridge and pantry for your personal twist on Chinese Chicken Salad, “Kitchen Sink Style”.
Let me know what you come up with.
Tortured Orchard’s Lemon Ginger Twist Details:
Ingredients: organic evaporated cane juice, water, lemon puree, dried currants, white wine vinegar, sweet vidalia onion, ginger, lemon peel, lemon juice, jalapeño peppers
Amount: 9 oz
Total Fat: 0g, 0%
Sodium: 0mg, 0%
Total Carbohydrate: 10g, 4%
Vitamin C: 2%
For more information on Tortured Orchard’s sauces and to purchase, please visit http://torturedorchard.com/.